How do you manage a large set of web, caching, application or database servers? How do you ensure that configuration changes have been committed to all your servers? How do you create a user on every server for the newly hired systems engineer? With the agility that virtual machines provide – how do you configure a newly created virtual machine to be production ready without worrying if the server has the latest configuration changes?
At 7terminals Puppet is at the center of your installations. We use it to manage configuration for each one of our customers – big and small alike. This decreases the time we spend doing repetitive things and allows us to focus on bigger challenges. If your devOps team is spending time doing repetitive tasks – they are not going to be able to work on cool new (read cost saving, scalable and reliable) solutions for your infrastructure.
Based out of Mumbai, India, we offer Puppet training and consulting to help bootstrap your team with Puppet configuration management. All our modules are in the public domain and published on Puppet Forge.
Looking to move from error prone manual configuration management to infrastructure as code? Contact us
Puppet Consulting, Puppet Training, Managed Hosting and GNU+Linux Engineering Company. Learn more
- Running Jenkins in Caucho Resin
- Quick note on running Jenkins in Resin - put jenkins.war into Resin’s webapps directory and start-up Resin. The app is accessible via http://ip_address_here:8080/jenkins. If for some reason the app is not available, take a look at resin’s log. Read more – ‘Running Jenkins in Caucho Resin’.
- Installing MySQL 5.5 on CentOS 6.x
- This article describes how to install MySQL 5.5 on CentOS 6.x. It is not available in the default CentOS update repository. This article installs the x86_64 bit version of MySQL 5.5.33-1 on a x86_64 bit machine. For i386 replace x64_64 with i386. Install libaio – its required by MySQL server 5.5 $ yum install libaio [...] Read more – ‘Installing MySQL 5.5 on CentOS 6.x’.
- WordPress deployment strategy
- This is the first of a two-part series on deploying and scaling wordpress. There are far too many wordpress installations out there where the codebase is not under any form of version control – renaming a file as filename.bck, filename.backup or filename . does not count. I have seen some pretty large installations (Alexa global [...] Read more – ‘WordPress deployment strategy’.
- XCP-XAPI: Another operation involving the object is currently in progress
- Symptoms: Attempting an operation (start vm, stop vm, reboot vm etc) gives the following error “Another operation involving the object is currently in progress” Workaround: An operation on this vm is likely hung. To list all operations execute ’xe task-list’. This should give you a list of all the tasks. Look for tasks that are in [...] Read more – ‘XCP-XAPI: Another operation involving the object is currently in progress’.
- Fix – login failure from XenCenter to xcp-xapi running on Ubuntu 12.04
- Background All out of the blue, we were getting ”authentication failure” while connection from XenCenter to our pool master with credentials that worked a few days ago. Logs show the following output when trying to connect from XenCenter [20120807T06:50:47.237Z| info|example-xenserver-1|1068 INET 127.0.0.1:80|session.login_with_password D:e8985c9e557d|xapi] Failed to locally authenticate user from HTTP request from Internet with User-Agent: XenCenter/6.0.2: Permission denied [...] Read more – ‘Fix – login failure from XenCenter to xcp-xapi running on Ubuntu 12.04’.
- Structuring puppet code for multiple projects / websites / applications
- Read more – ‘Structuring puppet code for multiple projects / websites / applications’.
- Kannel – setting up active-active load-balanced SMPP gateways
- This post documents setting up Kannel in active-active load balanced SMPP gateways. Note: Kannel does not attempt to do any quality of service over load balanced SMPP gateways i.e if a gateway is connected and is not delivering messages, kannel will continue using the gateway until the connection to the gateway goes offline. Read more – ‘Kannel – setting up active-active load-balanced SMPP gateways’.
- Kannel – setting up active-passive failover SMPP gateways
- This post documents setting up two SMPP gateways in active-passive failover mode i.e when the active SMPP gateway goes down, traffic is automatically send through the secondary (passive) SMPP gateway. Read more – ‘Kannel – setting up active-passive failover SMPP gateways’.
- Step by step guide to bootstrapping CentOS from an rpm based distro in Xen environments
- This post describes how to bootstrap a Cent OS root file system from a rpm based distribution. Bootstrapping a Cent OS installation is usually required when building a virtual machine template of the base operating system without partitioning the virtual disk in Xen (XCP, XenServer, XCP-XAPI) powered para virtualized environment. XenServer, XCP-XAPI exposes a partition to virtual [...] Read more – ‘Step by step guide to bootstrapping CentOS from an rpm based distro in Xen environments’.
- Step by step guide to setting up Xen and XAPI (XenAPI) on Ubuntu 12.04 and managing it with Cirtix XenCenter
- XCP ( Xen Cloud Platform ) is the open source version similar to Citrix XenServer that uses the Xen Hypervisor. It is currently distributed as an ISO installer also called as XCP appliance. XCP uses XAPI or XenAPI to manage Xen hosts. XCP is based on CentOS 5.5 Project Kronos is an initiative to port the XAPI [...] Read more – ‘Step by step guide to setting up Xen and XAPI (XenAPI) on Ubuntu 12.04 and managing it with Cirtix XenCenter’.
- Monitoring servers must be notified of service / host shutdown
- Say you have ten HTTP checks that monitor different parts of a website ( home page, story page, listing etc ) and someone shuts down the webserver for routine maintenance or configuration changes. This triggers ten alert notifications to the monitoring team. Do this often and on one pays attention. Read more – ‘Monitoring servers must be notified of service / host shutdown’.